Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Progress...not so much




I had lunch today with a friend of mine who is a marketing executive with a Mega Brand....(think Pizza with a red roof) We were talking about her brand and how things still shock her when she visits some of her locations. She went on to explain how she was in one of her Mega Brand locations and it took over four minutes for an associate to say hello to a client as they stood in line unsure of what they were supposed to do next. I asked her if there was a smile and a handshake...she laughed at me and said she was just hoping for a hello.

After lunch I was thinking that I was not surprised that this mega brand had "customer no service" issues, although it does amaze me that that a brand can get so big it forgets how to treat the client..the client built the brand because they came back and came back again....but how many clients have not come back? How much money does a Mega Brand spend in trying to get new clients; only to get them and then lose them because of poor execution inside the business. Mega brands need to remember when they were small and return to there roots..when customer service built there Mega Brand!


So I decided to bring my family into the Mega Pizza location last week and even though I had talked to her about the situation I still could not believe what I was seeing. A family of four walks in and takes a seat at a table..because the sign told them to do so..not an associate. After hanging out at there table for more than 10 minutes without being acknowledged that they were even in the restaurant..they got up and left! I wonder how much the Pizza giant spent on trying to get that family of four to come into the restaurant? And if the family of four never comes back how much money will the Pizza giant loose over five years. When you start to add it up its enough to make a corporate executive lose his or her job..you would think.


What do you think..have you had an experience like this before at a chain restaurant?

2 comments:

Jackie said...

That sounds all too familiar, and unfortunately there seems to be a reoccurence of "no-service" for quite some time before anyone inside the company/organization recognizes it and does something about it.

Anonymous said...

My favorite "customer service" issue is that "I don't know" is now an acceptable response to your question! You are coming to these people (who are supposedly set up and trained for this purpose) to answer a question. I suppose it's better than just getting misinformation like so often happens.