Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Passing of a childhood voice


The passing of a legend. Sorry to get a little of topic today but yesterday was probably the first time in my life(early 30's) that one of the biggest voices of my childhood was silenced with the passing of Phil Rizzuto. For my non-sports fan readers Phil Rizzuto was a Hall of Fame player for the New York Yankees in the 50' s and a Yankee broadcaster for 40 years and that's where my generation came to know him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Rizzuto Living in New York most games were on WPIX and the voice was Phil Rizzuto, he was not the best broadcaster he was just the most entertaining and made you feel like he was sitting in your living room talking about the Yankees. I learned the phrase "Howly Cow" and "what a Huckelberry" and learned how to play the game. With his passing yesterday it had me thinking about who that broadcaster would be for my children? And I am not sure in this day in age if there will be one...but I will pass my memories of hot summers in New York listening to the voice of the Yankees...part of my childhood that will live on forever.


"God bless the great game of Baseball"
-Phil Rizzuto


No comments: